Stevens Historical Research Associates (SHRA) is a women-owned, small business located in Boise, Idaho. Since 2004, SHRA has offered historical consulting services, including archival research and document collection, historical research, litigation support, expert witness testimony, general public history services, such as oral histories and exhibit content creation, and since 2013, cultural resource management services. SHRA’s clients include federal, state, and municipal entities, as well as corporations, private land owners, and families.
SHRA seeks an experienced Architectural Historian/Cultural Resources Specialist to join its Boise office and oversee its cultural resource portfolio of work. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Section 106 and 110 compliance and familiarity with Section 4(f) of the DOT Act. The application must have documented experience conducting architectural surveys (windshield, reconnaissance, and intensive) in both rural and urban settings; analyzing historical data; preparing historic site inventory forms and project reports, and making NRHP determinations. The applicant will have experience in completing National Register of Historic Places nominations and historic contexts. Ability to complete other building and site evaluations such as Historic American Buildings Survey [HABS], Historic American Engineering Record [HAER], and Historic American Landscapes Survey [HALS] documentation highly preferred. Additionally, experience negotiating, developing, and implementing creative mitigation plans; cultural resources management plans; and knowledge of NEPA process preferred. The person in this position will also assist SHRA in historical research and analysis for litigation and public history projects as needed.
- Master’s degree in Architectural History, Historic Preservation, or related field AND be able to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History with education and/or experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience working in cultural resource management, historic preservation, architectural history or related field.
- Ability and willingness to travel and conduct fieldwork in urban and remote rural locations, especially during fieldwork season, including overnight stays.
- Previous experience interacting with State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO), Tribal HistoricPreservation Offices, and experience working with State DOTs (Departments of Transportation).
This list of key responsibilities is not comprehensive. Additional duties or responsibilities relating to other SHRA projects may be required of the employee, such as archival research, document analysis, or proposal development.
- Conduct architectural surveys and fieldwork; provide training to SHRA staff on best practices for such tasks.
- Conduct primary and secondary research, including archival and background research and SHPO record searches.
- Identify, collect, and analyze data; interpret results, draft findings, update required forms (historic site inventory forms, or others, as required); determine project effects and/or make recommendations based on findings.
- Work with SHPO and federal agencies to determine project APEs (Area of Potential Effect) when needed.
- Serve as Principal Investigator for federal and state agencies (Bureau of Land Management, State offices, US Forests, and Bureau of Reclamation) where permitting is required.
- Perform work duties independently with short deadlines and work well with others.
- Be highly organized, motivated, thorough, accurate, dependable, and trustworthy.
- Possess strong writing and editing skills.
- Be skilled at reading, analyzing, and interpreting technical procedures and governmental regulations.
30-40 hours/week SHRA offices in Boise, Idaho
Pay will be hourly DOE, but ranging between $30-$38/hour. SHRA offers a compensation package that includes retirement plan, paid vacation, and holiday leave. The salary for this position will be commensurate with the applicant’s credentials, experience, and market forces.
Please send your resume/CV, cover letter, and a relevant writing sample to email@example.com.
This job was listed on May 1, 2019, and we are accepting applications until the position is filled.